Saturday, December 10, 2011

When your life mirrors reality TV, take action...

I'm so not a fan of reality TV. Not a single show. And yet, every once in a while, I feel compelled to watch "documentary-type" reality shows, like "Hoarding" - a bit like watching a train wreck, it's hard to avert your eyes...

I recently stumbled upon a "Hoarding" episode ("stumbled", as in, there was nothing else to watch, I was channel surfing, and stopped on TLC for a few minutes). I was watching the show, feeling at once sorry for the poor people whose lives are ruined by their hoarding disorder, and disgusted at their self-inflicted insalubrious living conditions.

Simultaneously, I took a look around at my own living quarters. Whoa... Piles of "stuff" everywhere, books collecting dust, clothes on the floor, dirty dishes in the sink, and even shopping bags on the floor still filled with whatever recent purchases I'd made. Wait a minute. The only difference between that, and the people on TV, is that I'm just lazy. I'm not afraid of throwing stuff out, but I often just "can't be bothered". Well, laziness isn't exactly something to brag about. So consider this a confession.

My friends and parents willingly excuse me by saying, "you don't have time! You're always traveling or working hard all week, it's understandable that you don't want to spend your weekends cleaning!"

But - enough is enough. I can't stand this anymore! So - today is "purge day". Sort, throw away/give away/put away, and clean.

We'll see how long I last before I sit back down on the couch in front of the TV, or get distracted and stop making progress. Nonetheless, one thing's for sure: I don't ever want to be featured on that show!

So, off to clean up I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment